Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Primary Success(?)

I've had a little over a month in my new calling,
and I'm still not sure if I am doing okay.
Teaching songs can be frustrating, and there's always pressure
to come up with fun and creative things to do.
I was hoping that I have come up with some fun things,
but I have people suggesting websites to me all of the time.
Hopefully they're just being helpful, but a part of me is
afraid it is because I'm not doing a very good job.
Who knows.
But here's a few things I have done so far.
The first, is words and pictures for "He Sent His Son"
I put them on popsicle sticks so the kids could
hold them up and turn the cards around
as they were getting the song.
The only thing, is that since there are so many
words to one picture, it was hard for the little kids
to follow. Good thing we have 8 more months to practice!
Last week our Primary was asked to sing during our
Stake Open House.
I wanted to make it interesting for the kids
so I made these.
Depending on what I was holding up, they would
have to sing loudly (reverently, loudly!), softly,
whistle, hum, or just girls/boys.
I have also learned that it is hard to pick helpers!
It's too much pressure!
I pick kids that are singing and sitting quietly,
but it's almost impossible to get to all of them.
Then the next week I start all over again and I don't
remember who was picked the last week,
but they sure do!


This is Natalie Note.
I asked my mom to paint her for me.
One child hides her while the other is waiting in the hall.
Then I ask the one that hid her what their favorite song is.
So while the "finder" is searching for Natalie,
the primary sings either quietly or loudly depending
on how close the "finder" is to Natalie.
It's basically a game of "hot and cold" but with music.
The kids love it!
The only problem is that they are super crazy at the end.
It must be due to all of the excitement.:)
So that is what I have been up to lately.
I am currently brainstorming for ideas to teach
the kids
"Follow The Prophet."
The Friend actually had a new verse that
talked about President Monson.
I thought it was pretty cool and may include it
as the last verse of the song.
The kids are great though, and make this calling
so rewarding, even when I am so insecure.
Love those kids!

5 comments:

Jana said...

oooo! what cute materials! I bet you are doing a great job, you are creative and energetic! And I know you can get those kids singin! :0)

MXB said...

Holli, I only suggested the websites because I know how hard it is to come up with ideas each week. When I had this calling I didn't know about the websites so it was really challenging. I really think the kids are doing great, we still have a long time to review the songs. Don't worry you are doing a good job. I especially liked the popsicle sticks with different ways to sing the song. They really enjoyed that. See you on Sunday!

princess jen said...

I relied heavily on various websites, I don't think it means that you're not doing a good enough job, just that you're aware of different resources. Teaching songs to primary kids is tough--especially to junior primary kids. The words are tricky and it's hard to learn and memorize them. But you can do it! There's still lots of time left. As for taking turns, I left my jar of popsicle sticks there, it's in the white poster holder if you're interested in using it. I would draw different sticks out and call on people that way. It was always the luck of the draw and since not everyone gets a turn, knowing that it's a matter of luck can sometimes appease hurt feelings. Good luck!!

Megs said...

How cute are you & your ideas? You obviously are a magnificent primary chorister! I want to be in primary again, with you! :)

Anonymous said...

Holli-
You rock!!! I was going to tell you... in our ward they choose helpers in a way that I actually like. They put all the kiddos names in a jar (they are all on a popsicle stick) and they draw them out as they need helpers. If the kids arent participating, they get skipped.