Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Gratitude and Some Other Stuff


I had a break through the other day. I was talking to my dear friend Krista, pouring out my heart and soul, telling her how desperate I am to rid myself of this awful, ugly, darkness. She, being the brilliant friend she is, sweetly asked me if I had been to the Temple recently- duh, Holli! Here I had been serving in the Oquirrh Mountain temple during the open house, and not once did I think, "I really need to get myself to a DEDICATED temple." I know, I am a terrible Latter Day Saint, and that should have been my FIRST thought. Anyway, we'll just forget that little tid-bit and move on to my NEXT break through: I really need to stop focusing on finding relief and start thinking about all the positive things in my life. I don't want to be a downer! Who wants to hang out with THAT person? So while the whole temple thing is in the works (I know, I have no excuse, but I am chalking it up to crazy work and school schedules) I decided to list things that I am grateful for, and things that I have come to realize over the past few months. As my faithful readers, I thank you for putting up with my crazy rantings, and hope you will humor my ENORMOUS break through. :)

Realization #1- Satan is just plain mean. He can take a mom and strip her of anything she ever thought positive about herself in like 2 seconds. He is a force to be reckoned with. I will NOT let that mean guy keep me down any longer. One day he will get what's coming to him- I think it's called "Outer Darkness."

Realization #2- I know that I am over weight. I am working on it, and trying my best to feel good about myself. The other day I realized that I can still wear clothes that I wore before SAM. Not that I want to wear clothes that are 4 years old, but just the knowledge that I COULD makes me feel better. :)

Realization #3- It's not the end of the world if family members decide to stop talking to me. It doesn't affect my Eternal salvation, nor is it a reflection of my character. It is their choice, not mine and I shouldn't keep feeling guilty for something I didn't do. All I have ever done is be honest, and if that's a sin, I just don't care. This all goes back to the mean guy, who is known as the great deceiver. This realization alone has been the most liberating. :)

Now for all the gratitude- and please keep in mind that these are a FEW things I am grateful for, and are not in any order what-so-ever. My brain is just random.
I am grateful for:
Mateo's smile- it's so cute when they only have 4 teeth that show
Sam's humor. That boy makes me laugh ALL the time
My super patient husband. He is pretty much the greatest guy in the world and I am lucky to have him.
My family, and especially my mom. She does so much for me that I don't know what I'd ever do without her. She is an amazing woman and is a great example to me.
My friends- they are pretty much the greatest too
My walking buddies (who are also my friends) our three-day-a-week therapy sessions do wonders for me and I hope we can find a way to keep it up once it's freezing cold.
Cafe Rio and Coldstone- I know we aren't supposed to medicate with food but sometimes, that is the only thing that works. :)
Temples and the Gospel in general.
Eternal families

I'll keep this list short because I know that I can keep going (and I will in my mind and my regular journal- not this fancy electronic one that everyone can read. :) )
P.S. The picture has nothing to do with the post, but what's a post without a picture?


5 comments:

Megs said...

This was a really great post. I love you!

Stacie Rowley said...

Oh, Holli, you are not the only one that has these sort of feelings. Trust me I have been having my own demons that I have been fighting. And I too have neglected to go to the Temple. Don't get down on yourself. You are such a wonderful person! Oh and your picture is part of your post because its your family and one of the many things you are greatful for. The lord loves you and he knows you can pull through this!

Tawnya said...

Oh holli! I love you!

Preston & Courtney Dial said...

it is nice to know i am not the only one that loses perspective. you are so good to turn it around. I was just telling preston i want to be that person that lights up a room with joy so after reading your blog I am going to give it a try. Thanks!

Matthew and Xochitl Burgoyne said...

Well I am grateful for the walking buddies too. =) It is theraputic for me to just get out of the house and outside, and also to just talk to a Woman about Womanly things is great! I missed it today but I will be back on Wednesday.
Love ya Holli!