I've been all blogged out lately. I have been completely unmotivated, and I have actually stopped checking everyone else's blogs for a while too. Summer seems like a crazy time, but I don't think I can blame it on that. Recently, I've had some issues with the whole idea of blogging. I know that I have joked about posting only for comments and such, but that really isn't WHY I decided to blog. I just thought it would be fun, and it would be a way for my long distance family to know what is going on with us, and to keep them updated with pictures and happenings. After a while, I realized that I was putting important dates and information that I wasn't recording ANYWHERE else (like when important milestones had been reached) and our blog became the best record I would have for our family (because, let's face it, I totally suck at writing in my journal and trying to find time to scrapbook is a JOKE). One of my friends sent me a link to a company that allows you to create your own book- upload pictures, blog posts, and create super cute layouts- and I knew that was what I needed to do. (Thanks, Jana!) So eventually my blogs will be made into a book for every year I have been blogging. We'll see when that happens though! It's the thought that counts though, right? :)
Anyway, sometimes I have used my blog as a place to vent. Which is fine... sometimes. Someone I have a lot of respect for was not very happy about a serious blog post I had written months ago. He gave me a lecture, and it made me think about the things I post. I don't want to be a person that offends or makes others feel bad. One reason I have stopped reading blogs lately is because I pick up on passive-aggressive digs towards myself or my friends and I don't like it. It's mean and shouldn't happen. I also read blogs where the author tries to advertise how wonderful they are- as a spouse, parent, friend, whatever, and I just can't take it. It makes me feel horribly inadequate, and I am sure that is due to my own insecurities, but why should I read something that is going to make me feel bad? I am sad, frustrated, and discouraged. Maybe one day soon I will have the desire to post something. Right now, I'm not sure what to do.
8 comments:
Well put Holli !!
Wow, I'm sad that someone tried to make you feel guilty/embarassed/etc about your own feelings. Blogging is a great medium for expressing yourself. It's unfortunate when someone chooses to be offended by the thoughts and opinions of someone else. I think we are each trying to be the best person we can be. I love reading your posts and learning more about you and finding out what makes you happy and what makes you sad and what makes you tick in general. I think we each go about reaching that goal of expressing ourself in a different way. When it comes to blogging for me, I go in spurts (hence I haven't blogged for over a month now!!) I just can't seem to want to make the time to do it I suppose. But I try very hard to do it for me, to write what's important for me to remember and to not let myself get sucked into someone else's drama or thoughts about what my life should be about. Good luck Holli. You are a strong, vibrant woman with an opinion that counts and a voice that needs to be heard.
Well put Holli!
oh! i've always loved reading your blog! :0) It's nice to catch up with people I don't really see anymore!
I understand about the journaling. So, I've decided our blog is our family scrapbook, and my journal is for all my 'feelings' about things. :0)
Love ya Holli! Don't be discouraged! You are a wonderful talented lady.
I'm with you on this - COMPLETELY! I blog because I do not use a journal or have time to scrapbook. I'm aggressively blunt in "real" life, but I TRY to mind my "p's & q's" as my blog is public and realize that if I wouldn't say it in "real" life I shouldn't be blogging it either!
As Wikipedia puts it - "Blogging can result in a range of legal liabilities and other unforeseen consequences." They even have a Code of Conduct, which I think EVERYONE should adopt:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blogger's_code_of_conduct
I blog everyday, because it helps me get out all my "feelings". I only write in my journal every so often, but blogging is what I like to do. If I could, I would blog 5 times a day. But thats just me. I do enjoy reading your blog and seeing the wonderful pictures you post. I dont think anyone should get offended by how you are feeling. I love how honest you are and how you speak whats on your mind. Dont feel bad about it.
I said what I said,
and I said what I meant.
Watch what you post,
One hundred percent.
Post a Comment