Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Introducing...


The newest members of our family.




                                                               Two Mallard ducklings.
                                                                   "Ducky"  and  "Fly"
My mom needed to go to IFA to get some wire for a super awesome idea she had (be excited, be VERY excited!) and I thought it would be fun for the boys to see the chicks, ducklings, and bunnies so we decided to come along.  First, Sam decided he needed a bunny. There was an ADORABLE mini lop and I wanted it too. I had Sam call Manuel to ask if he could have a bunny, but Manuel wasn't able to answer. I decided not to push anything, and tried to talk myself out of the bunny. :) Sam wouldn't stop asking me for animals. It went from the bunny, to chicks (which we had planned on getting this year but it just didn't work out) to ducks. I had two Pekin ducks when I was in high school- they were the super cute white ones. Their names were Chandler and Bianca, and like most pets I had as a teenager, were often neglected. My mom made me give them away- it was very sad.

So Sam tried to call his dad one more time. I thought he was asking for a bunny but instead he asked his dad for a duck. I couldn't hear what Manuel was saying, (and honestly, I thought he'd say "no"). All I heard Sam say was, "I'll take care of them, I promise!" So he said yes, and we were grabbing everything we needed to take care of two ducklings. Now I am wondering what I got myself into, because I had forgotten how disgusting they are when they are in a box. They have to stay under a heat lamp until all of their feathers have come in. Within 2 hours they have dumped all of their food and made a huge mess with the water. Awesome. Suckered by a 4 year old!

I just hope they are both males, because then they will look like this. Sam has named his "Ducky" and Mateo named his "Fly" mainly because he is so concerned about his "birdie fwy-ing 'way." So even after I explained that his duck will not fly away, he just calls his duck, "Fly." I am sure there will be more duck posts to come! Hopefully some cuter pictures too once we get them settled and can actually handle them. They're a little too scared at the moment to be held. I'm thinking a bunny would have been much easier...

4 comments:

Day Family Blog said...

You freaked me out for a second :) They are cute. Sometimes I wish we could have a smaller pet, but I know our golden retriever would just use it as hunting practice.

Anonymous said...

I hate when the toddlers sucker me!!

Megan said...

What the ducks?!? Well Emerie will need to come and visit soon so she can adore your new pets! How fun! You're totally living the dream with the farm birds. :)

LadySVR said...

My kiddos are fascinated with animals. But the closest we will ever get to having a pet is the fish tank night light in Will's room! Guess we will be visiting your yard more often - well once the weather gets back to 'spring'!