Thursday, December 15, 2011

Farewell Elder B!

 My little brother entered the MTC today. Yes, a day later than normal, but some freak stomach bug wiped my family out starting Monday night. Luckily, the bug skipped our house, but everyone else was sick, sick, sick. My mom was thoughtful enough to keep this nastiness out of the MTC, which translated to an extra day with Jesse.

We had a little family party yesterday. My mom made Chinese food and sugar cookies. I made a lemon bundt cake at Jesse's request, which his stupid dog ate while we were at the Stake Center. I hate that dog. I had never attended a setting apart for a missionary before. It was incredible. I can't stop thinking about some of the specific blessings that were promised to my brother and our family. Jesse's decision to serve a mission will bring so many amazing things to our family.
Jesse is such a fun-loving, laid back guy. I know that he will do amazing things in Wisconsin. I was having a really hard time with him leaving. I cried almost every time he would hold or play with one of my boys. The other night I was able to spend some one-on-one time with him. We talked, and laughed, and joked around like we normally do. He told me how excited he was to serve his mission, and I realized that I needed to stop being so sad. He is doing something amazing and wonderul, and I needed to stop being so selfish. I was doing well at the no crying thing, until I had to say goodbye to him last night. The little punk hugged me and kissed me on the cheek. I had to get the heck out of there before I lost it right in front of him.

I've reminded myself numerous times that Jesse leaving for 2 years to serve the Lord is a sacrifice and it's supposed to be hard. It wouldn't bless so many people if it wasn't a sacrifice! I am so proud of my little brother for being a worthy priesthood holder, and for his decision to serve a mission. He is such a great example to all of us, especially to my boys. Sam will always remember Uncle Jesse going on a mission. I hope Mateo will remember it too. I just hope the next two years fly by!

6 comments:

LadySVR said...

Giving up something good for something better! He is an amazing person, and he will touch so many lives just by being who he is, add some missionary training & WOW!! I know I'm just a neighbor but I've watched him and he truly is AMAZING!! I am in need of a box of tissues... Love you & your family!!

Jen said...

I know; it's so hard! Get ready for the blessings to come to your family now :)

Megan said...

What a great post! And what great blessings will come from his mission! Love you, friend!

Laura Burtis said...

Jesse is such a stud! I'm so excited for him, this is going to be such an adventure!

Lisel said...

Great pics :) It will be awesome, and it really does go by faster than you would think. Especially since you are busy with your munchkins! What a great experience for all of you!

Kristy said...

How fun to have a missionary in the family! It looks like he is going to enjoy himself while serving the Lord. :)