Monday, August 22, 2011

5 UP!!!



I can't believe Sam turns 5 today. He's getting way too big way too fast for me. He is starting Kindergarten NEXT week! It seriously makes me want to cry. We had a small family party for him yesterday. I felt bad because he really wanted to have a party with his friends, including some from preschool. Although it isn't going to work out that way this year, I think he was okay with the party he had. He chose to have a  Mario party (what else?!) and we were lucky to find Mario plates and napkins at Zurchers.

Sadly, I didn't make his cake this year. I wanted to make one. I had even sketched out the cake and super cute cake pops in the shape of Mario creatures, but then I had to remind myself that I am only 2.5 weeks postpartum, and it wouldn't be the end of the world if I didn't make Sam's cake.  I opted for Roger's Bakery (I LOVE their whipped frosting and raspberry filling) and bought little Mario figures to put on top. Since Mario and Luigi are Italian, and if you are ever punished and have to sit through one of their awful cartoons, they say cheesy lines like, "Holy ravioli!" so I thought spaghetti would be an appropriate dinner for a Mario party. Plus it was super fast and easy, and that is always a plus.
I am kicking myself for not recording Sam as he opened his presents. He was HILARIOUS. Every present was a huge surprise to him and it was SO cute. You can kind of get the idea by looking at his facial expressions in the next few pictures. 

He received some awesome presents, and he was so grateful for them! He got a lot of Mario toys, some Sonic the Hedgehog figurines, some sticker books, clothes, Legos, Lincoln Logs, Bendaroos, and his "big" present from us- Super Mario Galaxy 2.  I explained to him that games are very expensive so he wouldn't get a lot of toys from us if he wanted the game. He still wanted it, and was SO excited when he opened it. I thought I had uploaded that picture, but I guess I missed it. :(

                                                               Then it was pinata time!
         And since we didn't get a lot of people at the party, it was too hard for the little kids to bust it open
So Uncle Jesse finished it off. :)

Sam is such a good kid. While he can be a bit whiny if he's tired or hungry, he's normally well-behaved, although every kid has their moments. He loves helping with the dishes, and helping with baby Ben. He loves to color, and has a very active imagination. He's always making up his own Mario games in his head and then tries to explain them to me, and most of the time I can't follow. He is really into Legos now, and he and Mateo are always building new houses, or airplanes, or airplane cars... there's always something new!

One thing about Sam is that he is very sensitive. Unfortunately, he comes from a very long line of sensitive people, and he definitely inherited the sensitivity gene. Because of that, his feelings get hurt easily, or he worries about things a lot. He was watching a Phineas and Ferb movie the other day. Phineas and Ferb find out that their pet platypus is actually a secret agent and Phineas tells him to leave. As Perry the Platypus walked away, tears streamed down Sam's face. He felt so bad that Perry was leaving Phineas and Ferb. It was a very sweet reminder of how sensitive the little guy really is.

I've wanted to start doing birthday interviews for awhile now. I should have started last year, but I wasn't sure if I would get any responses from Sam. So here is the first official birthday interview.

What is your favorite color? Green and red
What is your favorite food? Broccoli soup
Who is your best friend? My best friend is Mateo
What do you like to do at home? I like to play with Legos and toys
Who is your favorite super hero? Um... Superman and Batman
What is your favorite movie? Um... Rio
What is your favorite book? My missing Spongebob book
Where is your favorite place to go? To eat
What do you like to wear? Um... my favorite yellow backhoe shirt (the shirt he is wearing right now...)
What things make you happy? When Mommy and Daddy be's nice to me.
What things make you sad? When Mommy and Daddy be's mean to me.
What do you do when you're mad? Nothing
What is your favorite TV show? Spongebob
What is your favorite restaurant? Cafe Rio
Who is your favorite person from the scriptures? Angel Moroni
What is your favorite Primary song? I Love to See the Temple


5 comments:

Megan said...

Soooo cute. And what a clever idea with the birthday interviews! We love Sam!

LadySVR said...

Sam is AWESOME!! I love that kid! I swear they were both just 3 and NOW they are going to start Kindergarten?!? I'm scheduling a cry fest for Monday morning... They have grown up so fast. I love the Sam's Tall Tales...he truly has a brilliant imagination. Glad I'm next door to hear about all of his adventures!

Laura Burtis said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SAMMY!!! We cannot believe that he is 5 already!! He was so dang cute opening up all of his gifts! I loved all his facial expressions! The questions are so cute! What a great idea!! My favorite "Where is your favorite place to go? ... To eat" HAHAHA!! A little boy after my own heart! LOL! We sure do love that little boy!

S said...

Happy Birthday Sam!! Sounds like it was an amazing day for him. :)

Day Family Blog said...

Wow his favorite food is broccoli soup, that is great.