Thursday, June 25, 2009

Jon & Kate Plus 8

I decided a while ago that super-serious posts would be something I'd try to steer clear of. Not that I don't have the urge every once in a while, but I know that sometimes my point of view may be a little different, and possibly offensive to some people (See "An Anti-Feminist Perspective"). Anyway, I just have to get this off my shoulders so forgive me as I unload! I have been a loyal viewer of "Jon & Kate Plus 8" for years. Their kids are absolutely adorable and I loved knowing there was someone more OCD than myself. It is also nice to appreciate the fact that I only have 2 crazy children instead of 8- and better yet, 6 all the same age! We have all watched the sextuplets grow up, and I am sure everyone feels like they "know and love" them.

The recent publicity (and publicity stunts) regarding their family has really bothered me. Here we are supposed to be watching a family that can thrive under the many pressures of having a large family. Instead we are witnessing a REAL family fall apart on television. I sat in horror Monday night as Jon & Kate announced they were separating and right after that, the big black screen came up telling the world that early THAT day Kate had started divorce proceedings. It made me sick. I realized it was all a crock. I told Manuel it made me want to cry and he didn't understand. I think a lot of people forgotten that these are real kids. They aren't actors. They are victims of selfish parents that kept telling the world that "they are only doing this for their kids." I am sure Jon's free American Chopper motorcycle and Kate's tummy tuck were ALL for the kids. I am completely disgusted with the show. Neither one of them seemed like they wanted to work it out- they just wanted OUT. Is ANYONE thinking of the 8 kids that will never feel like they are a whole family? As viewers, are we supposed to continue watching the show like fools? These poor kids deserve privacy. They deserve the right to grieve the loss of their parents' marriage without having to worry about shooting for their series. Thank goodness TLC finally put a little thought into it and decided to put the show on hiatus for a while. It sounded like Jon & Kate were perfectly fine to keep going.

It is all SAD. I found a blog that actually belongs to Aunt Jodi's sister. It is: http://truthbreedshatred.blogspot.com . Kevin (Kate's brother) and Jodi have urged viewers to stop watching the show. I am finally to the point where I feel the same way. I just can't watch knowing the poor kids are going through one of the toughest times in their lives and their parents STILL want to make money off it. Disgusting.

4 comments:

Megs said...

I've never watched the show myself, but I have been seeing the tabloid and magazine covers in the grocery store and all the crazy media on this thing - and I couldn't agree more with you! Like I said, I haven't seen the show but I am truly horrified by the selfishness of the parents in this situation. But I never thought it was right to be on television in the first place. They were selfish from the moment they decided to hang their dirty laundry for all the world to see. Those children were over-exploited from the moment the cameras started rolling. This just goes to show how horrible reality tv is...even though I am totally guilty of watching and getting hooked!

Jana and Brett said...

Holli Thank YOu! I used to tell everyone how I LOVED watching the show! Especially under my circumstances last year when I was expecting my 2nd baby with Jovie being a baby herself. I Loved how they 'made it work'. And it made my anxiety a little better. This has totally been a little blow to my world. :0) I felt like crying too. Can't imagine how the kids are feeling. Brett won't let me watch it anymore, he says we shouldn't support selfish people who just give up! And I agree with him!

Lisel said...

I can't believe I forgot to talk to you about this!! I agree. It is totally disgusting and watching that episode where they announced they would be separating made me realize how lame they both are! They can tell themselves over and over how they do everything for their kids and it will never be true. The way they have both changed the way they look is proof of that. I was thoroughly disgusted and will not be watching the show again.

Allison @ Allie Browns Layouts said...

Hey, you don't know me, but I'm a friend of Jana's and--I totally agree! None of them appeared even interested in working out their differences; though it seems like Kate's putting forth the effort to at least talk to Jon and yet, he doesn't care. But then again, did she do something that would make him not care to talk to her anymore? I don't know the whole situation. My friend says that he cheated on her--whatever. I'll never know.

I felt HORRID for the children. They make them these crooked houses almost to give these poor kids something to keep their mind on during the divorce.

I'm so sad that this has to happen. I was really rooting for this family.

Anyways, that's throwing in my two cents. Thanks for letting me come on here and read.