Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Some New Gospel Doctrine?!?


The other day our little family was driving home from visiting with my in-laws. Sam and I had been singing songs and he had been chatting away about Sunbeams. Out of the blue he says this: "Do you know what happened to Jesus and his father? The Holy Ghost took them and he ate them."
At first, I was a little horrified, but quiet giggles over took me as I tried to figure out what to say next.

Me: "Ummm... the Holy Ghost wouldn't eat Heavenly Father and Jesus. He loves them and helps them. The Holy Ghost is nice.

Sam: "Yeah, he is. He lives in the CHURCH! And so does Jesus, and Jesus Christ!"
( Apparently, Sam is a little confused with Jesus being referred to in so many ways.)

Me: "Well, you know the Temple? That house is for Jesus!"

Sam: "Yeah, but the church is the Holy Ghost's house. That is where he lives."

I proceeded to explain to Sam that the Holy Ghost is here to help us remember to always be nice and that whenever we are in church and we feel happy it is the Holy Ghost. Sam would react with an "Oh...yeah!" here and there. I wasn't sure how much of it he understood, but I knew I needed to banish any idea of the Holy Ghost being a mean person... especially a mean person that eats people. (Yikes!)
The next day Sam and Mateo were playing. I heard Sam get a little upset with Mateo. When I went to see what was going on, Sam was hugging his little brother. He looked up and said, "The Holy Ghost is helping me be nice to Mateo!" My heart swelled with pride as I realized Sam HAD understood what I said. I've always wondered how to teach little kids about the Gospel. I am worried that I will do a horrible job and that my kids will grow up without any solid foundation. I guess I always thought that it all comes from Family Home Evening lessons and things like that. Now, I think it is the everyday things, and especially our own example that makes the difference. At least I hope that's what it is!

3 comments:

Megs said...

I KNOW that you will do a great job teaching your kids the gospel. But yes - it does come from everyday experiences. Having been a primary teacher for nearly all of my grown-up church life, I have been so impressed by those kids that have parents that you can TELL they teach them often about the gospel and gospel principles. It has truly inspired me, and so have YOU! Cute Sam.

Lisel said...

Ah, Sam's so cute! Gotta love those teaching moments!

Preston & Courtney Dial said...

Those are the moment that make being a mom totally worth it! You are a great mom!