Ah- I love how quickly things can change with church callings. Sometimes it is hard to move onto knew things, but I am SO excited about the calling I was sustained to yesterday. Are you ready for it?!? PRIMARY CHORISTER! Yup, that's right! The coolest and most important calling in the church! I have always thought that being the chorister in Primary would be so fun and I never thought I would be so lucky to serve the Primary in that capacity. I was reading the blog "The Crazy Chorister" the other day and she said that it is one of the most important callings because the kids will always remember the lessons the chorister teaches them through song. And it's so true. How many primary lessons can anyone remember? But can you remember Primary songs? Of course you can! That is when I became a little overwhelmed. I had talked to one of my friends about it the other day and she said that calling scared her. That is was too much responsibility to make sure the kids learn the new songs. And then I started getting scared... and after my first Sunday I am even MORE scared because I don't know if I am capable of teaching songs! I can come up with fun games and act silly, but I'm not sure how I feel about all of this responsibility!
Anyway, so yes, I am super excited and terrified all at once. I have had some people give me great suggestions on where to find ideas for singing time. For now I have decided to try and stretch my brain a little to come up with some on my own before I turn to borrowing others' creativity. Which I am SURE will come soon. So I had been thinking, and thinking, and thinking about something fun to do with the kids. And it came to me- we could build... A SNOWMAN! So I went to the craft store, got my supplies, and put him together. I was afraid the older kids would think it was kind of lame, but they all seemed to enjoy it! Luckily it had snowed that morning so I told the kids that I had gone outside and made some snowballs so we could build a snowman in the church. (Doubt they actually believed my story!) I picked the kids that were really singing and participating to come and help me put him together. After Primary I heard one of the Sunbeams tell her mom, "We built a snowman! Look! There he is!" So I survived my first day in the best calling ever. Let's hope I get a little better at it!
5 comments:
I'm super excited for you! I miss that calling so much but I know you will do a fabulous job. It's so incredibly fun and the kids are wonderful. They love to sing and they do really well. Good luck!
Corban LOVED the snowman! he told me all about the songs you sang that day. bravo. ps mi madre has LOTS of singing time stuff...she was in the stake primary pres- for the primary choristers...LOTS of stuff...let me know :)
Awesome!! Nice work! You definitely have to be creative to keep those kids motivated and it sounds like you did a great job!
How fun for you!! I found your blog thru Laura!! Here is a fun website if you didn't know about it already:
http://www.sugardoodle.info/joomla/
Holli you did great the last 2 sundays. Don't worry about teaching the songs, you have a whole year to get it down, and trust me there will be a lot of reviewing. Plus I think the other songs they are going to learn are easier than the first 2. When I had this calling I was nervous about it too, but after a while you will get real comfortable with it and be able to come up with fun ways to learn that the kids will like. Can't wait for this Sunday to see what you come up with =)
Post a Comment