My thoughts this week have been kind of superficial, so I don't see this post being very deep or insightful. :) The first thing I have been thinking about is sweet, sweet, sugar. My friend helped me get started on a lifestyle change that involved no refined sugar for 3 weeks. I thought I would die. Literally. I'll be completely honest here, I L-O-V-E sugar. Dessert is my favorite thing to eat, and sometimes I would eat dessert after lunch AND dinner. I'd also eat it in between meals as well. I know, so very BAD! Obviously, something needed to change. I am incredibly self-conscious about my weight. I expected to lose a lot after I had Ben because I had only gained 11 pounds. I was devastated to step on the scale at my 6 week postpartum appointment to find that I was only 2 pounds lighter than my pre-pregnancy weight. TWO pounds! ARGH!
So for a week and a half now, I have survived without sugar. And I'm still alive. Weird, right?! I was shocked when I stepped on the scale earlier this week and realized I had lost at least 5 pounds. It was amazing. I really need to step things up and start exercising more as well. Sam is off track now, so I think I can still get up at my regular time and exercise. To me, going without sugar is a huge sacrifice, and I better not have sacrificed in vain! I really want to feel good about myself. I think it will make me a better wife, mother, friend- you name it.
I've been thinking about things that I need versus want. A couple years ago I ordered a set of Pampered Chef dishes I had been admiring for years. Even though I was able to order them at a heavy discount, it was still more than I would usually pay for dinnerware. Not too long after I purchased this set, my first bowl shattered in a tragic accident. I was devastated. I am now down to a few dinner plates, 1 bowl, and 0 salad plates. It's aggravating to think about how much I paid for these, and now I have almost nothing left to show for them. I know that plates break, but I'd like them to last for a little while!
Obviously, we need new plates, but I'm thinking since we need them I should be able to get what I want, right? I have admired Fiesta ware for years. There's something about brightly colored dinnerware that just makes me happy. Not only do they make me happy, they're made in USA. Not lead-ridden China. Since they're sold individually, and one person settings, it's something I can slowly accumulate. Then if something ends up breaking, I can replace that one piece instead of needing a whole new set, which is what would happen because mismatched plates just aren't my thing. I've had that issue for a few years now and I refuse to live that way from now on. It's a new day.
I'm thinking I really WANT some new church shoes. I would really love some black heels, but then I may want some new clothes to go with them. :) Maybe if I keep up with this lifestyle change new clothes will become a need instead of a want!
Have you heard of The Pioneer Woman? I am rather obsessed with her website. She has recently started a show on Food Network and I'm sure I'll be obsessed with that too. I am always going online to get new recipes, but then I also end up checking emails and other things, so I think having her cookbook would help me with a lot of unnecessary internet browsing. Maybe I need to have Manuel check our blog so he can get some good birthday ideas for me. :)




5 comments:
I enjoyed your "superficial" thoughtful thursday, too! Look at you, keeping up with a weekly post! Much better than me! I think that dish set seems like a good idea and something I need to look into. We have zero dishes right now and...yeah. It's embarrassing. Good luck continuing with this no-sugar thing. You are better than me!
5 Pounds Holli?! That's SO dang awesome!! WAY TO GO! And I'm SOOOO impressed that you have gone a week and half without sugar! That's SO amazing!
Those heels are adorable! Pretty sure you NEED them! ;)
And I LOVE The Pioneer Woman blog! Have you read her story "Black heels and Tractor Wheels??" So good!
Fantastic post, as always :)
I found the 5 lbs you lost! :) But I think I have been eating all the sugar you haven't been - I'm just trying to keep the world in balance! Congrats on the lifestyle change & your dedication! That is really awesome!!
I love the heels!! And in my opinion...New shoes = new outfit. I also love the fiesta ware! I personally simply prefer paper plates!! I am going to watch her show on Food Network! YUMMY!!
I can't go like an hour without sugar, so you are pretty much a rockstar!
Oh and looky! I switched to Firefox and I can comment on your blog now!
I love the Pioneer Woman too!!! Way to go on no sugar, it is hard to do, but pays off.
Post a Comment