Monday, April 30, 2012

Boys


Yesterday, Manuel told me a little story about something that happened at church, and I've been bothered by it ever since. He was in the foyer with Ben, and a member of a different ward asked him if Ben was his first. He told the woman that Ben was our third, and we have all boys. With a slightly disgusted tone, she told him, "Yeah, I stopped at 3 boys. I figured I would never get my girl, and there's no way I wanted any more boys."

Manuel thought it was funny, and decided the lady was crazy. I had the same reaction at first, but the more I thought about, the more it bothered me. Why do people think boys are so bad? It's probably because boys are rambunctious and tend to do crazy things, and aren't calm and reserved like they believe little girls to be. Don't get me wrong, I would LOVE to have a little girl, but I have already prepared myself for a life without bows, and pink frilly things, and princesses. Because even though I would love it, I also love being a mommy  to three of the most wonderful little boys. I have embraced the world of cars, and dirt, and super heroes. Pirates are pretty cool too. :) 

I kind of wish this woman would have said that to me, because I would have told her that it was a shame to stop your family just because you don't want another boy. A possible missionary to bring families together for eternity. Another worthy Priesthood holder to support his family. Another good father, in this world where many kids have crappy dads that don't care. If we ended up with 6 boys, I would be thrilled because the world would be lucky to have 6 little Manuel's running around. 

I thought about my boys all last night. I think that little boys are pretty special, and I will tell you why.


 First, they are pretty tough. :) The best part though, is that even though they are tough, they are also incredibly sweet, and loving. They take care of each other (most of the time) and can go from fighting to nicely playing in a matter of minutes. They're compassionate, and adventurous. They like to roughhouse with Daddy, but still want to help Mommy in the kitchen.
They're silly every.single.day. They can make you want to scream and laugh at the same time. They say funny things, and want to run around with a fake sword their dad made out of a stick and a paint stirrer. They wear snow boots with shorts, even if you have hidden them more times than you can count. They like to sing songs, and have dance parties in the living room, and color pictures. They're drawn to the outdoors, even if it's freezing outside. They love bugs and making "soup" in the bottom of their slide. Funny faces are their specialty.
My absolute favorite thing, is that they love their mommy. Mommy is their most favorite person in the entire world, with Daddy coming in at a close second. They pick her tulips and dandelions. She doesn't even mind the tulips, even if she would like to enjoy them blooming in the yard for a couple days. :) They're sweet and give hugs and kisses all day long. They want to learn more about Jesus, and Joseph Smith, and pioneers. Little boys are sweet and wonderful, despite what the media has made us believe.

So to this woman, I'm sorry your boys were too much for you, but I will not stop at 3. Little boys are a special gift to the world, and I think life would be really boring without them.

7 comments:

Lisel said...

I agree, boys are wonderful! When I was pregnant with Lily and didn't know what I was having people kept saying "oh, I hope it's a girl!" and I found myself hoping it was another boy just to prove that I loved my kids no matter what gender they were and I was happy and blessed to have another healthy baby. Of course, now that I have her, I wouldn't trade her, but if I would have had all boys I wouldn't trade them either.

Tawnya said...

What a sweet post Holli! And what a great perspective!

Jen said...

GO HOLLI!

As you know, 7 years ago I was in your shoes. I received countless questions and comments that were just like this one. And then after Abby I had plenty of people that said I could stop trying for a girl now! Um, I was never trying for a girl. I just knew there was another baby to come. And one more :)

The world sure needs more moms like you!

Shannon said...

AMEN! When I was pregnant with Logan I wanted a girl so bad. After I had him I knew that I would be happy and content with just boys. I believe kids (boys or girls) are a piece of heaven in our homes. (PS...my little girl has been more difficult at times and I am not sure I could handle more than 1! ;)

LadySVR said...

I love this post! Not because the crazy lady who obviously doesn't understand the dynamics of a family is not set by a childs gender but by the parents & their ability (or lack thereof) to raise them! And, in my opinion - Girls are CRAZY! :) If you ever need a Princess fix you are welcome to come over! Emi always says she wants to be YOUR daughter because you make pretty stuff! :)

Amanda Martinez said...

I myself am a fan of boys ;) hehe Okay seriously though, boys are the best! Especially yours! The world does need some great amazing boys like the ones in your family! I loved this post! Way to stick it to the man... WOMAN! :D

I've always thought girls are a little harder to handle anyway, or maybe that's because I was a brat/drama queen when I was a little girl! :)

Xochi said...

I have always thought that you get what Heavenly Father knows is best for you and your family. Each kid is different and can be easier or harder than the first. My Girls are very much like "boys", they love spiderman, batman, rough housing, drawing on walls, touching bugs, etc. But they are also very dramatic, and they do love princesses. I think it should all just be, like the first grade rule, you get what you get and you don't through a fit! =)