Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Fried Pickles & FHE on the Beach

A couple months ago, Manuel and I were discussing our family vacation.
We were planning on going to Iowa to visit my family.
I have family on my mom and my dad's side,
and there's a lot of people Manuel has never met before.
For normal people, that don't have to stop every 5 minutes,
it's about an 18 hour drive.
Add 2 crazy boys and an 8 month old,
and you've got yourself a VERY long drive.
We knew it wasn't feasible to drive.
There's no way Ben would have made it.
I don't even think I would have made it.
We looked into flights, and I couldn't find anything less than $270 per person.
That's a lot of money.
Flight + rental car + hotel would have been MORE than it would
cost to go to Disneyland for a week.
You can probably tell from our countdown chain what we decided to do.
I wanted to make it a surprise for the boys, but I just couldn't keep it to myself
so we told them, by making a countdown chain.
That way we didn't get, "Are we going to Disneyland today?"
everyday until we left. It worked like a charm, and I was happy
to have a reason to use my Disney Cricut cartridge.

 As part of tradition, we had to stop at Peggy Sue's for lunch. It came at the perfect part of our 2 day drive, where the boys were SICK of the van, to the point where Mateo and Ben were both screaming. I was about to lose my mind!
 Mateo was happy to eat his ranch, with a little bit of lettuce. :) He had it running down his chin! The boy loves ranch. I can't blame him though, because it's delicious.
 The whole reason I wanted to stop at Peggy Sue's! Okay, not the whole reason, but a big reason. They have some pretty amazing fried pickles, although I do think that the recipe I found and tweaked is even better than Peggy Sue's! I wish I could say the rest of the food was amazing, but it's ok. We mainly stop there out of tradition from our honeymoon, but this may have been our last stop at Peggy Sue's. I guess we'll have to see.
 After we arrived at our hotel, and I got over the fact that is was NOWHERE near Disneyland's maingate, we went to Newport Beach for Family Home Evening. Have I ever mentioned my love for the beach? If I have, I'm going to say it again. I LOVE it. I love it so much that I would jump on a chance to live near one. That will probably never happen, but I really love California, and I would really love to live there. Sam really loved collecting shells.
 Ben wasn't too sure of the beach, but he ended up having a lot of fun! Especially when Daddy would hold him over the crashing waves.
 Mateo was a wild man! I was really afraid he'd be swept out into the ocean. He kept going farther and farther into the water. He loved it!

I really love this picture:)
Crazy brothers
Best FHE ever!

8 comments:

Tawnya said...

That is so cute! Looks like so much fun. Except I think you should have come to Iowa. Our boys would love each other and I would love to see you!!

Holli said...

I know, I know. :) My mom may be headed out there is August, so I may come out then. If I do, we HAVE to get together!

Amanda Martinez said...

You have both got to be the coolest parents ever! This looks SO fun! I can't even imagine the energy those boys would have for a week! It must have been so fun and crazy! My dad always wants to stop at that diner but my mom will never let him? She refuses to eat out, stubborn mom of mine!
Also, you don't know how much it excites me to know that you LOVE the beach too! When I went to Puerto Vallarta in Mexico I FORGOT to eat meals... (I eat like 12 big meals,every day sometimes)so.. it's a big deal! that's how caught up in the ocean I was, I'd spend ALL day there, from 8 to 8 :) You'd love it there, I hope you can go to a REAL beach someday. WAY better than Cali beaches!BUT! I still love California! I seriously hope I can live by a beach someday too! Maybe when I'm rich I can afford for the both of us to live by one! :D ...One can dream!

RH said...

I love California and the beach! We're fifteen minutes away from Newport Beach...well that is when we move back in a month. Next time you plan a trip, we'll have to get together!! It looked like everyone had so much fun!!

Missy said...

It looks like you had so much fun! I wish we were going to Disneyland rather than Iowa in June :) It'll be worth it to see my sister, but you guys know how to plan a vacation! Cute boys, cute family, cute pictures!

Laura Burtis said...

Love all of the beach pictures! Cute boys! And the beach looks heavenly! I've been craving some beach time and will hopefully get some soon!! Oh and those fried pickles look DELISH!! I would totally stop for them too :)

Lisel said...

That looks like one of the best FHE's ever!! Great pics, but you can't really go wrong with sand, water, and cute boys :) I've never had fried pickles, but they sound divine, so maybe I should!!

Megan said...

yummmm fried pickles! you'll have to share yours sometime. I love the beach and I'm glad you do, too. please move to California. thank you.