Monday, March 5, 2012

Pneumonia, Valentine's, Eggs, and Temple Square

Our February was CA-Razy! It flew by before I could even blog about it! I decided it would be easiest to do one big "catch-up" post, so bear with me! In the beginning of the month, Sam had a rather high fever for a couple days. We couldn't get it to break, so I decided he probably needed to go to the doctor. I felt kind of silly taking him in when he had only been sick for 2 1/2 days, but I was already taking Ben in for his well-child visit. Luckily, we have an awesome nurse and pediatrician, and they made room in their schedule for Sam.

Even at the doctor, I felt kind of dumb taking him in. I didn't want the doctor to think I was the kind of parent that rushes in at the first sign of a runny nose or anything. (I'm sure he already knows that though, since he's been Sam's doctor from the start :) I was a little concerned when Dr Barrett was listening to his lungs, because he had a serious look on his face. After he was done, he told me that Sam had pneumonia in his left lung! I couldn't believe it. We talked about how pneumonia isn't contagious, but I should keep Sam home as long as he had a fever. You could tell the poor kid felt awful! I had taken him in on a Tuesday, and kept him home until he had a whole 24 hours worth of antibiotics in his system. I felt bad because his teacher told me he just wasn't himself when I sent him to school that Thursday. I probably should have kept him home for another day, but they had just come back from a 3 week break.

I am so grateful I listened to the prompting to take Sam in. Had we waiting a couple days, the pneumonia could have been really bad, and he could have been hospitalized. Even though I felt ridiculous, I am SO glad it wasn't worse.


Valentine's Day was pretty exciting around our house. Thanks to my Pinterest addiction, I found the instructions for these darling Valentine's! Sam LOVED them, and I loved them too. :) We received a lot of compliments for them! Sam's teacher told me they were darling, and then told me I was an "over-achieving mom." I decided to take it as a compliment. I don't mind being thought of as an "over-achieving" mom. :)
To be honest, Valentine's day isn't my favorite holiday, but I don't loathe it. My parents were out of town, so instead of calling a babysitter, we decided to keep things low key. I bought books for the boys, and bought Manuel a sketch pad and some chocolate Turtles. Manuel was cute and got me a pair of Vans, and surprised me with a card. Normally, I am the one that buys a card and Manuel forgets. This time, Manuel remembered, and I forgot! It was kind of funny. :)

For dinner, we tried going to The Old Spaghetti Factory, but the wait was an hour just to get a table. I knew that would not fly with the crazies, so we left and ended up eating at Smashburger. For some reason, they were under-staffed and it took us half an hour to get our food! They're lucky they're delicious, or we'd never go back again!

It was nice to spend time as a family. I'm not one for the mushy-gushy love stuff anyway, so our Valentine's celebration was perfect.


We got our first eggs! Manuel went to feed the chickens one day and came in with these little beauties! It's so nice to have fresh eggs on hand!

Our ward started a monthly "Family Week." During family week, most meetings are cancelled, and we're supposed to do more as a family. The Bishopric encouraged us to focus on the temple, and try to attend the temple. If we have young kids, we were encouraged to take them to see a temple. Manuel was out of town most of the week, but on Friday night, we decided to go to Temple Square. We went to Lion House for dinner. I love that place! The food is SO delicious.
The boys really enjoyed their chicken strips, rice, and Jell-O :)
I really enjoyed my asparagus chicken, mashed potatoes, and chocolate cream pie. :)
I took these pics with my phone, so they aren't the best quality, but I am so glad we went! Sam was so excited to walk around the temple. He asked us if that's where we got married, and if that's where he will get married. It was so sweet. As we were walking towards the Christus building, Sam got really excited and asked if we could go see the place where "Jesus was in the ocean." We explained he wasn't in the ocean, and that it's supposed to be an "outer space" kind of thing. :)

The boys were really good, and we all had a lot of fun together. I am so grateful for our Eternal family! Life would be bittersweet if I wasn't able to keep my family forever.

4 comments:

Tawnya said...

What a month! Sorry abbout Sam! By the waging love that book you Gog, "Press Here." It is the cutest thing ever!

Amanda Martinez said...

I totally want a chicken now!! They sound "egg"citing! ;) I am SERIOUSLY in love with the new pictures of your boys! So cute!! I love that Sam is learning so much about Temples and missions... even how bad Satan is ;) It puts a smile on my face how cute they are!!

Megan said...

love the update! and I also love that you mention food you ate because I'm so glad I'm not the only one that cares about that stuff :) your boys are too cute and it's not fair to the rest of us :) love you friend! can't wait to see you SOON!

Laura Burtis said...

Man, February was a busy month at the Meza household! I'm glad Sam is feeling better, poor guy! And those Valentines really are so dang cute! You are such a good momma! And the Lion House looks DELISH! Is it lunch time yet?!