Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Graduation!

Well, I never thought I'd make it, but it actually happened! On May 7, 2010 I graduated from the University of Utah with a BS in Human Development and Family Studies. I knew I wanted to "walk" because I had gone to school for SO long I felt like I deserved it. :) Twenty minutes into the convocation ceremony and I was rethinking my decision. It was SO boring! And LONG! I'm glad I did it though, and I am really glad my family loved me enough to sit through it! After I had been presented with my "diploma" (you know, the diploma holder thingy) I was walking to have my picture taken (which turned out horribly) when one of my favorite professors stopped me to shake my hand, wished me luck, then gave me a hug! I thought it was pretty awesome. :) Can you see M's enthusiasm in this picture? Isn't it funny? My sister made the poster for me. I think it took a lot for her to write the "U" (she's a die hard Aggie... not sure why! haha JK) and I really appreciated it!
My super handsome husband tried his best to keep the kiddos entertained during the very looonnng ceremony. Luckily we had a lot of family there to keep them occupied.

It was so crowded afterwards. (Of course!) So we snapped a few quick pictures and got the heck out of there. My poor parents ended up stuck in the Institute parking lot for over half an hour trying to get out. Yikes!


It meant a lot to me to have my family there. After graduation my in-laws took us out to dinner to Texas Roadhouse. Then we headed back to our house for celebratory cake and ice cream. My family came, and some of my good friends came too. It was fun to have everyone together! I really appreciate those that made an effort to come visit me and help celebrate the day- some people had to travel, and I felt very loved. :)



What would celebratory cake be without a giant "U" on it? I had originally ordered a scored sheet cake from Roger's Bakery (complete with strawberry filling and whipped cream frosting) and I wanted a little "U" on every square but they wanted to charge me extra so I decided to stick with little red roses. When I went to pick up my cake, the girl opened the box and there was the "U!" From the look on my face, I think she was afraid they had messed up. Then she looked at the ticket and said, "Oh, and it has already been paid for." What the?!? I was floored! I realized that my wonderful mother had been sneaky and gone over to the bakery to change the order for me and paid for my cake. Isn't she nice? I was such an awesome surprise! (Thanks Mom! You rock! :) )
So there you have it! Graduation is over, and I can finally start living my life! :)



10 comments:

Megs said...

Congrats again! It's a great feeling!

LadySVR said...

CONGRATS!! Emi loved that cake - well she only ate the icing & the filling!! You looked so darling in the black & white w/ hot pink!! You were just beaming! Now onto your Masters?? You are a smarty pants & you know you can do it!!

Anonymous said...

I think its so great that you finished! Congratulations! Ha ha about your mom getting stuck in the parking lot for 1/2 an hour. Now you know why I complain so much when its graduation season. You rock Holli!

Lisel said...

Congrats again! What an accomplishment! I walked too, just to get the pictures afterwards in the cap & gown!

Kristy said...

You are awesome! Congrats on not only graduating but surving graduation itself! I'm not sure graduation really counts unless you wear the lovely cap & gown...

Jana and Brett said...

yay!!! Congrats Holli! I'm so happy you are done! "WHEW!" I know it was a long road for you! But you did it! My neighbor, Jana Truscott graduated with a BS in your field! Did you know her? She is a sweetie, as are you! I can't imagine you not meeting her.
Congrats lady!!!

Laura Burtis said...

Congrats again Holli! It really is so exciting! (P.s. that picture of Mateo holding the sign is sooo cute!!)

Tawnya said...

Congratulations Holli! That is soo cool!

Amanda, Jack, Corban, Gabe, Chloe, and Rigby said...

So wonderful! Great job sticking with it and pushing through all the really hard times.

Xochi said...

Yeah! That is so awesome, you are very loved!