Wednesday, September 1, 2010

4 Year Check-up


Sam had his 4 year well child visit today, and I wanted to post his stats. He gets really nervous whenever he has to go to the doctor- after all of the tests he went through when he was young he was never the same at the doctor's office. Anyway, I sat while the doctor asked Sam questions and tried my hardest not to laugh at his answers.


Here's a few:
Dr. Barrett: "What's your name?"
Sam: "Mario"
Dr. Barrett: "What's a river?"
Sam: "Water" (as he puts his hands together, then extends them)
Dr. Barrett: "What's a house?"
Sam: "Toys"
My kid is crazy. We talked about him going to preschool, when to start kindergarten, the fact that he is distractable (I thought this was a bad thing, but the doctor seemed like it was a more positive attribute) and other things. He encouraged me to be a pest to his preschool teacher, which I was already planning on, and talked about how preschool is mainly for social skills than academics, which I already knew. :) The worst part of the whole visit was the vaccinations. Apparently the older kids aren't able to have the cluster vaccinations, so Sam had to have 5 shots, plus the flu nasal spray. He asked Grandma to hold his hands while they did it. There were two nurses trying to be as quick as they could and would give him a shot in both legs at the same time. I have never heard Sam cry and scream they way he did today. It was SO much worse than when my babies had shots. I think it was because Sam knew exactly what was happening. I felt terrible. The only positive thing is that now he is completely up to date, and won't need anymore until he is 12. Yay for that at least!


I have been feeling a lot of anxiety when it comes to Sam going to preschool. I haven't been able to sleep and I think about it all of the time. I don't know what's wrong with me! You can bet I will cry the first day of school too. I know it will get easier, but right now I have a lot of reservations about the whole thing. Mainly because if he does well, then he'll be starting Kindergarten next year and that will be the end of having him home with me all the time. I am sure that at some point I will be happy to send my kids off to school, but I'm not there yet. I know that it's the best thing for him, and that he will have SO much fun, but it's still hard for me. I'm just being selfish I guess.

So here are Sam's stats:
Weight: 28 lbs 6 oz
Height: 37.5 inches

He's in the 5th percentile for height and weight, but the doctor is pleased with his growth. The sad thing is that he's still too small for a booster seat in the van! He'll probably be in his car seat until he's in like 3rd grade, and then will be in a booster until jr high. Okay, so that isn't true, but Sam's a skinny little guy for sure!

5 comments:

LadySVR said...

Oh Holli I love your Blog! Sam is such an awesome kid - I love his answers! I know having him enter Preschool has been weighing heavily on your mind. It's crazy how fast they grow up, and it so hard to let go & simply sit back & watch it. He is going to excel beyond your wildest dreams, even if he is still in a booster seat in Jr High :)

Anonymous said...

What can I say, Sara said it all! ;)

Xochi said...

I have worried about Eliza being in a booster seat till Jr. High too. It's OK at least he is growing and they aren't worried about him anymore. I am sure pre-school will be a lot of fun for both of you. Good luck!

Erin Macceo said...

Ok...I totally LOVE that picture of Sam! What a doll. Preschool will be good, hard though I know the feeling. I'm freaking out about Myles too. I look at him and think he's still just a baby, but then he says something crazy and I brought to the realization that some time in the last 3 years he's grown into a little boy.

Amanda, Jack, Corban, Gabe, Chloe, and Rigby said...

poor little guy- that's a ton of shots at once. I had to take my kids in yesterday because they're both sick and corban asked them if he could GET a shot....there's definitely something wrong with my kid...who asks for a shot??? You'll do great with pre-k. It'll be rough at first but think of all the great one on one time with tato!