About going private. I was checking out my site meter and noticed a couple entries where someone had visited our site because of a few key words typed into a search engine. I know it's the internet...that's the danger of blogs...blah blah blah. I've removed our last name from the blog and I try not to list where we live, but it's still scary. I have a few solutions to this problem. The first is shutting down the blog altogether (I am sure not too many people would be heartbroken about that). The second is fake names for the kiddos, and possibly husband. That would mean a new URL since Husband's name is in the one right now, but it's a thought. Plus made up names sound kind of fun... and possibly tricky. Third, go private. I don't know how I feel about going private. I know a lot of people say they don't write their blogs for comments. I'm not going to lie- I DO. Okay, not entirely, but I do write hoping that someone will appreciate what I wrote and maybe leave me a comment. Since comments are often scarce, I don't even want to think about what they'd be like if I went private. And why in the world would I want to take all the time to write a blog if no one is going to read it? I might as well be writing in my journal! So there you have it.
Please feel free to give your opinion- as long as it isn't mean. :)
11 comments:
Hard to say. I have briefly thought of doing that. I think if you do decide to go private, just make sure you invite all of your readers. The comments do go down, but your privacy will go up. I still check Lisel's and Xochitl's and comment occasionally. Sorry I'm not much help. :)
GO PRIVATE!! My blog is private... Its not bad at all. I love it.
You do whatever you feel you need to. I have been sort of considering going private myself. At least for my family and diet blog. I love reading your blog posts. So if you go private, definitely invite me. I like my name changes on my family blog, I always have to proof read it several times to make sure I didnt mention any names. Sometimes its a lot of work. I feel the same way you do about not many people reading my blogs, but I mostly do mine as a means to put out there what I am feeling. I cant stand writing in a real journal, dont know why. I love to write and talk about something.
I agree with Stacie - I love reading your blog posts & if you do go private you MUST invite me...I know where you live if you don't! :) I was thinking of making mine private not for security reasons, but just so I can vent a bit more hehehe
Yeah, I have been thinking of going back to private also. So make sure if you go private you invite me! I love reading about you and the boys! Don't stop the blog, just go private! I'm like Stacie. I don't like writing in an actual journal but I like documenting what we have been up to and such. So, just do what is best for you guys... But don't stop! Or I won't have anything to read during the day! :)
You probably wont get as many comments, but the important people in your life will still check your blog. Plus, look at Jen Johnsons blog, she still gets tonz of comments on it even though she is private. I like to write my blog kind of as a journal, and Eliza likes to look at old posts. -Don't worry I will still leave comments and read it.
I say do private- I know I'm a name fanatic and I can't handle proof reading all the time- it's hard enough to just get a post down, much less sit and proof read to avoid any real names. I love that you said: "I might as well just be writing in my journal" ha ha. I feel the same way.
Wow Xochi! Thanks for thinking of me :) I actually wish I wasn't private. I much prefer having a public blog and I've never really worried about anything. I went private due to one "stalker" type person and I hope to eventually make it public again. I know I had a lot of friends reading it who didn't leave comments and who I don't have emails for to give invites. I'm also one of those people who leave random comments. I've searched for various primary and RS ideas and when I came across them, I'd leave a comment for the person writing it. The ultimate decision has tio be with whatever your level of comfort is. If you do decide to go private, I would love to be a reader! (I know about the comment thing--I have a huge need for validation!) love you!
I'm sure you could guess my opinion! I've never regretted being private because I've never had to worry. I have a friend who does the name thing but she always slips up or ends up showing something that includes their full name or something. On the other hand, Matt's cousin couldn't stand being private because his comments went down so much. I blog to keep a record for us and for far-away family to see what we're up to. Comments are great and I love them, but they're not the reason for my blog, so my decision wasn't that hard. I agree with Jen, you have to do what you're comfortable with.
Hmmm... I would totally understand if you decided to go private, because you do post pictures and stories about Sam & Mateo... I just get a little bugged when I am "Blog stalking" and someone has it set to private :) Ha ha, there's my confession for the day! But I know that you would invite me - so I will support you whatever you decide!
I suggest you start another blog (with all your free time, I know). Have the family blog private and have a public blog for randomness!
Post a Comment